Service Charge Code – How to check the percentage
10 things a business occupier can do to check whether their service charge percentage is correct.
- All lettable areas are included in the apportionment matrix.
- Income generating activities contribute a fair share.
- Floor areas are correct.
- The basis is correct.
- The method of measurement e.g IPMS3.
- For a capped percentage in the lease.
- Different schedules to reflect different use.
- How costs are split between schedules.
- Whether weighting is appropriate.
- The arithmetic.
Further reading: The RICS service charge code of practice commercial property. 1st edition